FICUNAM, the International Film Festival of the National Autonomous University of México, opens its call for the FEATS. International Film Schools Meeting Competition in its 11th edition.
One of our main interests is to program films with a formal pursuit that delves into the exploration of filmic language and, thus, to be a relevant exhibition window in Mexico for independent films from all around the globe.
FICUNAM 11 will take place from March 18th-28th, 2021, and the award ceremony will be held on Thursday, March 25th, in Mexico City.
With FEATS. International Film Schools Meeting, FICUNAM seeks to become a platform for new generations of film students and contribute to the training of new talents, through a specialized workshop and meeting with international professional creators. This space seeks to promote the exchange and construction of networks among young creators from all over the world.
1. The works of students from film schools in the Ibero-American region, considering Latin America, Spain and Portugal, may participate.
2. The director of the short film to participate must be a student of the school or recently graduated. Or, if applicable, he/she must have been a student during the 2019-2020 school year. Former students will not be accepted. The works must be produced by the school.
3. The films will be presented in their original language with Spanish and English subtitles.
4. Each school may officially present a selection of three works produced since 2020. None may exceed 40 minutes.
5. Students from each school will also be able to apply independently, with work produced since 2020, within the framework of the school’s activities. The duration may not exceed 40 minutes.
6. Both the selection by the FICUNAM Committee and the jury decision will be final.
7. This call closes on Friday, October 30th, 2020, at 18:00 (Central Time Mexico). The Festival’s Selection Committee has no obligation to watch films submitted beyond this deadline.
8. At the present time, FICUNAM is being planned to happen onsite with physical screenings. However, there is a risk for sanitary conditions to suddenly change due to the still-active COVID-19 pandemic. This forces the Festival’s organization to take into consideration the possibility of changing the whole program to virtual screening rooms, with the previous authorization of films, which must take this into account at the moment of their register.
9. Taking into account the current circumstances we live in due to the sanitary crisis caused by the COVID-19 epidemic, participation of directors or representatives of selected films based outside Mexico will take place in the virtual mode..
10. This year, the Festival will not pay for travel and lodging expenses. If directors or representatives of the films should decide to be present through their own means, their physical presence at the screening rooms will be subject to the indications of sanitary authorities.
11. Registering a film in this call implies the acceptance of this set of rules & regulations.
1. Films selected in the FEATS. International Film Schools Meeting, will compete for:
- Puma Aciertos
Silver medal statuette by Mexican artist Martín Soto Climent
$70,000.00 MXN (for the School)
1. To register for the FICUNAM competition FEATS. International Film Schools Meeting it is necessary to send the following material before Friday, October 30th, 2020:
- Complete online entry form (available at the Festival webpage: www.ficunam.unam.mx)
- An online-available version of the film with access password. In case it is spoken in a language other than Spanish or English, it must be subtitled in one of these two languages
1. For the Festival catalogue and promotion, send the following material before Friday, January 15th, 2021:
- Director’s statement in Spanish and/or English
- Bio-filmography of the film’s director
- Photo of the director
- Full film credits
- Technical specifications
- High-resolution photograms of the film (300 dpi)
- Poster and/or press kit (if available), printed and in digital format
2. Participating schools must send:
- School logo (in curves with a transparent background, in color and b/w versions; and, if they exist, negative and positive versions)
- Brief informative text about the school (16-20 lines)
3. For screening the selected films, submit the following material to the Festival before Friday, February 12th, 2021:
- Screening copy of the film and DCP digital file (Apple ProRes / H264)
- All DCP materials must be delivered under the current DCI norms, HDD formatted under DCI specifications, frame rate, aspect ratio and properly named content. In case of having a different screening digital format, the Festival is willing to offer an alternative
- Films must have 100% understanding in Spanish and English. All this in the same version of the film.
4. If there is a particular specification for setting or checking the copy of a film, this must be informed at the moment of delivering the material through a note written by the film’s producer.5. Participating works must deliver a promotional set of images for the film. If this material is not submitted, the Festival will be allowed to copy photograms and fragments (up to 3 minutes long) of the selected films for promotion purposes on the Festival’s webpage and other mass media.
1. In case the film is selected, the expenses of the exhibition copy will be borne by the participant. Material with surcharges will not be accepted. In case of using a courier service, it is recommended to specify “COMMERCIAL VALUE 5 USD. FOR CULTURAL PURPOSES ONLY”, for the operation of the customs system. The postal stamp will count as proof of delivery date.
2. The exhibition copy must be sent before Friday, February 12, 2021.
3. The sender must inform FICUNAM about the sending date and the guide number of the exhibition copy.
4. All materials must be sent to the following address:
Casa Universitaria del Libro UNAM
Orizaba 24, Roma Nte.
06700 Ciudad de México
+52 55 5622 9595
1. The Festival will organize a digital collection with programmed films. This research and educational space will only be open for students and professionals authorized by the Festival.
2. Throughout the year, the Festival will organize exhibitions in cultural spaces and educational institutions in Mexico City and throughout Mexico offering a selection of films screened during its most recent edition. In all cases, previous authorization for screening will be asked.