From 2019, FICUNAM, the UNAM International Film Festival, presents its new creation-promoting platform formed by a series of activities which will offer an accompaniment in the development and finalization processes for filmic auteur projects from all over the world, in all genres and styles far from tradition and close to innovation.
Welcome to CATAPULTA!
In its first edition, CATAPULTA presents a First Cut competition which will offer an accompaniment to end projects related to the curatorial FICUNAM style. Six films in a stage previous to their final cut will be selected and presented to directors, producers, distributors, sales agents, institution representatives, and programmers who understand cinema not only as a product but as an artistic expression which deserves a space in the world. These guests will share their experience with the creators and will also enrich the projects through their feedback. After that, an international jury will deliver various awards to support still-needed processes.
Through this project, UNAM reaffirms its commitment to both foster artistic creation in its various manifestations, inclusive modalities and little-explored facets, and to promote the creation of networks and collaborative programs to strengthen national and international links among university artists.
CATAPULTA – First Cut will take place from March 6 to 9, during FICUNAM’s Ninth Edition.
RULES OF PARTICIPATION
- Applications are open for all domestic and foreign films with a running length of over 60 minutes.
- For CATAPULTA a “film” is any filmic piece, within the genres of fiction, documentary, or animation, which has been completely shot, has a first-cut edition, and has not ended its postproduction stage.
- Participating films cannot have taken part in other work-in-progress—or similar—events in the Mexican territory.
- After accepting the invitation to CATAPULTA, films will not be taken away from the platform program.
- The films’ official exhibition format is a High-Definition (1080p) digital file. Full specifications will be sent with the official invitation. Authorization for other formats will be decided by the Selection Committee.
- All participants commit to mention CATAPULTA and FICUNAM and include their logos in all their publicity and press material as well as in the film credits.
- Both the committee selection and the jury’s decision will not be subject to appeal.
- This call will be open from the day of its publication until Monday, January 14, 2019. The selection committee is under no obligation to see any film registered after this deadline.
- Registration of films in this call implies accepting the rules of participation hereby presented.
- To participate in this call, all interested parties must fill in the registration form available online at the FICUNAM webpage: www.ficunam.unam.mx.
- Films will be received through a digital platform (Vimeo or Youtube) protected with a password.
- The deadline for registration and sending the materials is Monday, January 14, 2019.
IN CASE OF SELECTION, THE PARTICIPANTS WILL BE NOTIFIED VIA EMAIL.
The jury will be formed by academics, filmmakers, and filmic figures with well-established and renowned careers. Their decision will not be subject to appeal.
Over one-million Mexican Pesos will be awarded in distribution prizes and postproduction services: The FILMOTECA UNAM prize is endowed with $200,000.00 Mexican pesos in cash, the LABO.MX prize, the most important postproduction studio in Latin-American, consisting of integral postproduction services, as well as the SONAMOS prize, consisting of working hours in its Atmos mix studio in Chile, among other distribution and postproduction prices.
The awarded project with the FILMOTECA UNAM prize undertakes to grant UNAM a license for public exhibition in Mexico for a term of five years.
Participating in CATAPULTA – First Cut implies the complete acceptance of these rules of participation. Interpretation and application of the rules is an attribution of the Organizing Committee.
All matters not foreseen in this open call will be solved by the Organizing Committee.