ACIERTOS COMPETITION FICUNAM 2023
FICUNAM, the International Film Festival of the National Autonomous University of México, opens its call for the Aciertos. Encuentro Internacional de Escuelas de Cine Competition in its 13th edition.
With Aciertos. Encuentro Internacional de Escuelas de Cine, FICUNAM seeks to become a platform for new generations of film students and contribute to the training of new talents. This space seeks to promote the exchange and construction of networks among young creators from all over the world.
FICUNAM 13 will take place from June 1st to 11th, 2023.
1. Entries for the FICUNAM International Competition are open to all films with a running length of 25 minutes or more, produced in Mexico or abroad. Only films produced from 2022 onwards will be taken into consideration.
2. Films screened in the FICUNAM International Competition must have their Mexican premiere during the Festival. Once the invitation to one of our competing sections is accepted, the film cannot be taken out from the Festival program, nor screened in any other event in Mexico before it is officially exhibited at FICUNAM.
3. The official format for film exhibition is DCP. Exhibition in other formats requires the Festival’s authorization.
4. Producers of winning films, or of those films that receive an honourable mention, establish a commitment to mention the Festival in all their subsequent publicity and press kits by including the FICUNAM logo.
5. Films participating in this open call, but not selected for the competition, may be invited to take part in other sections of the Festival, previous authorization by the director, the producer, or the film’s representative.
6. Both the selection by the FICUNAM Committee and the jury decision will be final.
7. This call closes on November 30th, 2022, at 18:00 (Central Time Mexico). The Festival’s Selection Committee has no obligation to watch films submitted beyond this deadline.
8. The thirteenth edition will be held in person with some virtual content. However, we reserve the right to change all or part of the program to virtual venues in the contingency of an eventuality beyond our control, such as a pandemic or natural disaster. Such changes will be made with the prior authorization of the films.
9. Registering a film in this call implies the acceptance of this set of rules & regulations.
1. Films selected in the FICUNAM International Competition will compete for the following awards:
- Puma for Best Film
Puma statuette by Mexican artist Martín Soto Climent
$150,000.00 MXN (for the producer) *
*If there is more than one producer, the award will be given to the responsible producer designated to this end in the registration form.
- Puma for Best Director
Puma statuette by Mexican artist Martín Soto
$100,000.00 MXN (for the director)
- Audience Award
1. To register for the FICUNAM International Competition it is necessary to send the following material before November 30th, 2022, at 18:00 (Central Time Mexico):
- Complete online entry form (available at the Festival webpage: www.ficunam.unam.mx)
- An online available version of the film with access password
Important: It is needed to specify whether this version is a final cut or a work in progress.
1. For the Festival catalogue and promotion, send the following material before Friday, March 31st, 2023:
- Director’s statement in Spanish and/or English
- Bio-filmography of the film’s director
- Photo of the director
- Full film credits
- Technical specifications
- High-resolution photograms of the film (300 dpi)
- Poster and/or press kit (if available), printed and in digital format
2. For screening the selected films, submit the following material to the Festival before Friday, May 5th, 2023:
- DCP screening copy of the film with English subtitles (if the film is in another language)
- All DCP materials must be delivered under the current DCI norms, HDD formatted under DCI specifications, frame rate, aspect ratio and properly named content. In case of having a different screening digital format, the Festival is willing to offer an alternative
- Back-up Blu-ray copy with English subtitles
- Back-up Blu-ray copy without subtitles
- Dialogue list in the original language and in English (if available) with time codes for subtitling.
3. If there is a particular specification for setting or checking the copy of a film, this must be informed at the moment of delivering the material through a note written by the film’s producer.
4. Participating works must deliver a promotional set of images for the film. If this material is not submitted, the Festival will be allowed to copy photograms and fragments (up to 3 minutes long) of the selected films for promotion purposes on the Festival’s webpage and other mass media.
1. In case the film is selected, it is recommended sending the copy in digital format. Otherwise, all the shipping costs will be borne by the participant. Material with surcharges will not be accepted.
2. The sender must inform FICUNAM about the sending date and the guide number of the exhibition copy. Also, the participant must consult the necessary documentation for the shipment according to the regulations of each country.
3. All materials must be sent to the following address:
Dirección General de Actividades Cinematográficas
Oficina del FICUNAM
Circuito Mario de la Cueva S/N Ciudad Universitaria
04510 Ciudad de México, México.
1. The Festival will organise a digital collection with programmed films. This research and educational space will only be open for students and professionals authorised by the Festival.
2. Throughout the year, the Festival will organise exhibitions in cultural spaces and educational institutions in Mexico City and throughout Mexico offering a selection of films screened during its latest edition. In all cases, prior authorization for screening will be asked.
Cases not foreseen in this call or derived from it will be resolved by the Organising Committee of FICUNAM in accordance with the applicable regulations and the Code of Ethics of the UNAM.
Information +52 55 5622 9595
Cases not foreseen in this call or derived from it will be resolved by the Organizing Committee of FICUNAM in accordance with the applicable regulations and the Code of Ethics of the UNAM.
Information +52 55 5622 9595